SURVEY OF JOB VACANCIES - HELP PAGE
This page contains information designed to help businesses that are included in the Survey of Job Vacancies for the November 2018 reference period. For general information about participation in business surveys, please see Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and for assistance with using the online survey form, please see eSurvey - Help
If your question about the Survey of Job Vacancies is not answered on this page, or in the information provided on your web form, please contact the ABS on 1800 622 235 (free call excluding mobile phones).
Please note that an ABS officer may contact you for clarification on any data that you provide. This additional information helps to ensure the statistics produced by the ABS are fit for purpose and of a high quality.
How do I access the web form?
To access your web form you will need to log in to your Survey Account at - www.abs.gov.au/survey . If you do not have a Survey Account you will need to create one using your email address and a password of your choice. This survey can then be added to your Survey Account by entering the Form Access Code that is included in your letter from the ABS. If you have misplaced your letter, please call 1800 622 235 (free call excluding mobile phones) to request your access code.
Can I save an unfinished web form?
Yes, there is a functionality to save the web form when partially completed so you can return to it later. To do this simply click the Print, Save and Exit button at the top of the form. This will save your form and exit you from the system. You will receive a confirmation message. You can then log back in to complete the survey at any time. Please be aware that, for security reasons, if there is inactivity on your computer for 20 minutes the web form will time out without saving.
Can I keep a record of my completed web form?
Yes, the ABS highly recommends that you keep a copy of your completed form for your own personal records.
- To print a copy of the form, click the Print button on the receipt pages.
- The reporting record provides a summary of which job vacancies to include/exclude and a list of upcoming reference dates. A copy of the reporting record is available to download by clicking Download reporting record from the navigation menu.
Can I get an extension or request assistance to complete the web form?
If you need assistance in completing the web form, or have difficulties doing so on or soon after the reference date, an extension of time may be available. Please call 1800 622 235 (free call excluding mobile phones) and advise our staff of your situation.
What is the purpose of the survey and who uses the data?
The Survey of Job Vacancies is used to estimate the number of job vacancies in Australia. Estimates produced from this survey are a main economic indicator of employment growth and are used for monitoring the Australian economy and formulating economic policy.
How did this business get chosen for the survey?
A sample of approximately 5,400 businesses is randomly selected on the Survey of Job Vacancies. Selected businesses receive the survey questionnaire and represent other similar businesses in the same employment size range, broad industry, sector and state or territory. The sample is selected from the Australian Business Register which contains the names and addresses of all businesses that have registered an ABN with the Australian Taxation Office.
What is the survey reference date?
The current survey reference date is Friday 16 November 2018.
How long will this business be on the survey?
The length of time you will be on the Survey of Job Vacancies generally depends upon the size of your business. Some larger businesses will remain on the survey on an ongoing basis because of their significance to the survey results. Smaller businesses will generally be included in the quarterly survey for approximately three years (meaning they will be required to complete approximately twelve quarterly questionnaires). However, there can be some exceptions to this rule. For example, where sampling results in a smaller business being significant to the survey results, these businesses may also be included in the survey on an ongoing basis.
What if my business does not have any employees?
Some businesses operate without any employees (for example, businesses operated entirely by owners of unincorporated entities). In this case, please notify the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) on 1800 622 235 (free call excluding mobile phones). In order for the ABS to determine the correct course of action for this business, you will be asked a few questions (for example, is there is any intention for the business to employ in the future?).
What if my business did not operate during the reference period (e.g. seasonal businesses)?
If the business you are reporting for has ceased operating or did not operate during the reference period please notify the ABS on 1800 622 235 (free call excluding mobile phones). In order for the ABS to determine the correct course of action for this business, you will be asked a few questions (for example, what is the seasonal pattern of the business or when did the business last operate?).
What questions are on the survey?
The survey asks about the number of job vacancies for your organisation on the reference date. A job vacancy is a job available for immediate filling on the survey reference date and for which recruitment action has been taken. Recruitment action includes efforts to fill vacancies by advertising, by on site or online notices, by notifying employment agencies or trade unions and by contacting, interviewing or selecting applicants already registered with the organisation.
- Vacancies for all categories of jobs (e.g. executive, managerial, full-time, part-time, permanent, temporary, casual, seasonal, traineeships, apprenticeships, cadetships)
- Vacancies for positions not paid through your payroll
- Vacancies for jobs which became vacant on the survey reference date and were filled that same day
- Vacancies for jobs of less than one day’s duration
- Vacancies only available to be filled by internal applicants (for public sector organisations, also exclude vacancies only available to employees within the relevant Public Service)
- Vacancies to be filled by employees returning from paid or unpaid leave or after industrial disputes
- Vacancies not available for immediate filling on the survey reference date (e.g. recruitment for vacancies expected in the future such as graduate intakes and recruitment pools)
- Vacancies for work to be carried out by contractors
- Vacancies available in locations not specified in the letter with your login details
- Vacancies for which no recruitment action has been taken
- Vacancies where a person has been appointed, but has not yet commenced duty (e.g. where provisional promotion or acceptance of appointment has occurred)
- Vacancies where the position is not available to be filled until a later date
- Vacancies to be filled by staff from contract labour agencies
I have already sent you the information requested
If you believe you have already provided the ABS with the information requested for the November 2018 Job Vacancies Survey, please call our staff on 1800 622 235 (free call excluding mobile phones).
How can I get access to the results of the ABS survey?
Data produced by the survey is published quarterly in Job Vacancies, Australia (cat. no. 6354.0).
The ABS is grateful for the cooperation of businesses in submitting completed forms promptly to enable early processing and timely release of results from our surveys. We look forward to your continued support.