This year the graduate selection process will include the following stages:
As part of your application you will need to select your stream preference. These streams are:
- Methodology: Graduates with degrees in Statistics, Econometrics, Mathematics or related fields of study.
- Information and Communication Technology (ICT): Best suited for graduates who have a degree where the main focus is on ICT.
- National Data Acquisition Centre: This stream is for graduates of any discipline, who are interested in working in our new Geelong Office which houses the Data Acquisition and Provider Management Branch and manages all ABS survey contact activities for business, household and administrative data collections.
- Statistical and Business Solutions: This stream is for graduates of any discipline. Graduates from this stream may work in one of many areas right across the ABS, from our Statistical Business areas, Collection and Dissemination groups, to Finance, Human Resources, Policy and Corporate Communications.
For more information please refer to the 2017 Graduate Stream information page: Our Streams
If you are not sure which stream you should apply for, the technical question will help guide you, which appears straight after you have selected your stream. If you cannot answer this question you may want to consider selecting another stream.
You will need to complete you application online. As part of your application you will be asked to:
- provide personal particulars and your resume, including contact details for two recent referees;
- respond to a research task;
- respond to a technical question based on your stream preference;
- provide a 'one page pitch' telling us why we should offer you a place on the ABS Graduate Development Program; and
- upload a copy of your most recent academic transcript
If you have a disability please note that RecruitAbility applies to these graduate roles. For more information on RecruitAbility see RecruitAbility scheme: A guide for applicants.
We strongly committed to increasing our diversity representation. If you are an Aboriginal and/ or Torres Strait Islander graduate and/or a graduate with disability we welcome your application and ask that you identify on your application form.
If you are successful at the application stage you will be invited to undertake a video interview. This interview will ask up to four general questions, designed to assess your suitability and one or two technical questions based on your selected stream preference.
Live Video or Face-To-Face Interviews
If you are successful at the video assessment stage, you may be asked to undertake a live video or face-to-face interview. These interviews will be used to clarify or further assess aspects of your application.
Your referees may be contacted at any stage, to seek information about your employment history, qualifications and experience. It is advised that you inform your referees that you have applied for the ABS Graduate Development Program, and make sure you have their support.
Offers and Notification of Suitability
Our National Recruitment Unit will:
- inform you of your suitability via email, so please keep your contact details up to date;
- verbally offer successful candidates positions in our Graduate Development Program and send formal offers. N.B. not all candidates found suitable may be able to be offered positions;
- answer questions throughout the process via email to email@example.com
ABS' online e-recruitment service is provided by NGANET.AU (owned by Acendre) and all applicant information is appropriately secured by the provider to ensure applicants' privacy and information is protected.