What does an ABS home based Interviewer do?
Home based Interviewers visit people in their homes, as well as contact people by telephone, to conduct official government surveys by asking questions and recording the answers on a notebook computer.
Hours of work involved
Home based Interviewers are assigned a set number of interviews to complete each month. It is up to them to organise themselves, make appointments and encourage people to take part.
- Interviewers work at times when people are free to be interviewed.
- Home based Interviewers can work any time between 8.30am to 8.30pm Monday to Friday, and between 9.00am to 5.00pm on weekends.
- Typically, most work is done between 5.00pm and 8.30pm.
- Interviews may involve Interviewers travelling alone at night to homes in their area.
- Interviewers are guaranteed at least 30 hours of work (over a 2 week period) each month.
Pay and Conditions
- The current rate of pay starts at $26.37 per hour which attracts a further 9.25% interviewer loading, plus superannuation.
- Interviewers on average earn between $700 - $1,000 (before tax) for a Monthly Population Survey work assignment.
- A Motor Vehicle Allowance (MVA) ranging from 63 to 77 cents per kilometre (depending on the engine capacity of your vehicle) is also payable.
Training and support
- Newly recruited home based Interviewers attend a paid initial training program which covers every aspect of the job such as interviewing techniques, knowledge of surveys and administrative tasks.
- An experienced Interviewer is assigned to each new recruit to provide ongoing job support and guidance.
- All home based Interviewers are supervised on the job at regular intervals and receive written feedback from their supervisor.
- Seminars and development workshops are conducted periodically.