Independent Assurance Panel: Report on the quality of 2016 Census data
The Australian Statistician established an Independent Assurance Panel in 2016 to provide an independent view of the quality of statistical outputs from the 2016 Census of Population and Housing. The Panel first met in November 2016.
The Panel were tasked with providing a written report to the Australian Statistician giving its view on aspects of quality of 2016 Census data. The Panel considered issues including, but not limited to Census design, enumeration, processing and quality assurance, and assessed quality using the quality of outputs from the 2011 and 2006 Censuses as benchmarks.
The membership of the Panel was:
- Chair – Professor Sandra Harding, Vice Chancellor and President of James Cook University
- Professor Lisa Jackson Pulver AM, Pro Vice-Chancellor Engagement, Pro Vice-Chancellor Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Leadership, University of Western Sydney, and member of the Australian Statistical Advisory Council
- Professor Peter McDonald AM, Head of Demography within the Centre for Health Policy, University of Melbourne
- Peter Morrison, former Assistant Chief Canadian Statistician who was responsible for running the Canadian Census
- Dennis Trewin AO, ex-Australian Statistician (2000-2007)
- Anton Voss, Deputy Secretary, Tasmanian Department of Treasury and Finance, and member of the Australian Statistical Advisory Council
The Panel's report can be accessed here.