|Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas (SEIFA) is a product developed by the ABS that ranks areas in Australia according to relative socio-economic advantage and disadvantage. The indexes are based on information from the five-yearly Census. ||
|SEIFA 2011 is the latest version of this product and consists of four indexes:
- The Index of Relative Socio-Economic Disadvantage (IRSD)
- The Index of Relative Socio-Economic Advantage and Disadvantage (IRSAD)
- The Index of Education and Occupation (IEO)
- The Index of Economic Resources (IER).
Each index is a summary of a different subset of Census variables and focuses on a different aspect of socio-economic advantage and disadvantage.
Some common uses of SEIFA include:
- determining areas that require funding and services
- identifying new business opportunities
- research into the relationship between socio-economic disadvantage and various health and educational outcomes.
View and download all SEIFA material free of charge by browsing the links on the right.