- The ABS provides statistics on a wide range of economic, social, and environmental matters, covering government, business and the population in general. It also has an important coordination function with respect to the statistical activities of other official bodies, both in Australia and overseas. The ABS is committed to an environmentally responsible approach in delivering its business objectives.
- The purpose of this policy is to identify effective environmental practices and provide guidance to ABS staff on undertaking activities in an environmentally responsible manner. This policy covers all operations of the ABS central and regional offices.
- This policy is consistent with relevant Commonwealth environmental legislation, policies and initiatives.
- The ABS recognises the importance of implementing sound environmental practices throughout its office-based activities and will continue to integrate sustainable environmental practices into its daily office based activities by:
- seeking to minimise adverse environmental impacts from operations;
- complying with relevant Commonwealth and Territory Environment Legislation and the Commonwealth Government's environmental policies and initiatives; and
- working towards continuously improving our environmental performance.
- The ABS will, within the context and constraints of its business:
- identify, implement and promote environmental management systems and operations;
- operate in an environmentally responsible manner and where practical, reduce energy, waste and other resources;
- comply with relevant Commonwealth and Territory Environment Legislation and the Commonwealth Government's environmental policies and initiatives;
- encourage and promote environmentally sound procurement practices in compliance with Commonwealth Procurement Guidelines;
- provide an environmentally sound workplace and implement environmentally sound work practices;
- monitor our programs and implement processes of continuous improvement; and
- develop an environmentally responsible culture across all levels of our organisation and consult, educate, train and motivate staff about their environmental responsibilities.