The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) is Australia’s national statistical agency. We provide trusted official statistics on a wide range of economic, social, population and environmental matters of importance to Australia.
Our Purpose is to inform Australia's important decisions by partnering and innovating to deliver relevant, trusted, objective data, statistics and insights. We have an international reputation as one of the best statistical organisations in the world and are respected for delivering objective statistics accessible to the Australian community and governments.
We operate in a dynamic environment across 10 locations, an office in each capital city, as well as Geelong and Dandenong. New technology, statistical methods and opportunities for accessing and integrating data are becoming available, increasing the potential to provide new insights into matters of importance to Australians. In response to this, we are undergoing a major transformation.
Along with employing people to deliver our statistics, we also employ people to provide assistance and advice on statistical methods, data and metadata management, information technology, client management, dissemination, human resources and other corporate services.
Our Values and Our People
As an organisation, we are proud of our success as a trusted, independent and apolitical provider of statistics for all Australians. As an Australian Public Service agency, the APS values are the foundation to what we believe and how we behave. These are:
- Committed to Service
Our success is driven by our people and their capabilities. We are committed to our workforce being diverse, respectful and inclusive reflecting the Australian community and to creating a work environment that values and utilises the contribution of all employees. We strongly encourage people of diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives to apply for roles in the ABS.
Why work at the ABS
The ABS offers you a supportive and friendly working environment, attractive conditions and a competitive salary.
Our Flex Works initiative means managers will say 'yes' to reasonable requests from employees to work flexibly in line with ABS policies, unless there is a compelling business reason not to. We have many processes in place to help employees balance their work and home lives including:
- flexible work practices (e.g. working from home, flexible working hours, access to part-time and job share arrangements, flextime and time off in lieu, purchased annual leave)
- supportive technology (laptops for all staff, access to skype)
- policies and guidelines
Our commitment to flexible working arrangements was recognised this year with ABS announced on 6 June 2018 as WINNERS of the Federal Government Flexible Working Day Award!
Other benefits include:
- competitive salary rates
- four weeks annual leave and generous sick and carers leave provisions
- access to 16 weeks paid maternity leave
- generous superannuation provisions
- flexible salary packaging, for a car, childcare or additional superannuation contributions
- a commitment to professional development, through our learning and development programs, the ABS Performance Management Framework and secondment opportunities
- access to a study support program for external study
- an active social club that sponsors many annual events such as the ABS Fun Run and ABS Ball, as well as a number of sporting clubs and lunchtime activities.
Further information about the conditions of service offered by the ABS can be found in the ABS Enterprise Agreement.
Further information About Us
If you would like further information about us, including access to corporate and public accountability information, see our About Us page. If you would like to understand how we structure our business, refer to our ABS Organisation Chart page