Education Services home page > CensusAtSchool home page > Year 7 Resources
GeoQ 01 – What is Australia's Population?
|Please note: This task is designed to be completed by hand although the extension activity requires the use of the Internet.|
You can download this activity as a Word (.doc) file using the links at the bottom of the page.
Go to the Australian Bureau of Statistics website at www.abs.gov.au
1. Find the Population clock which is in the top right hand corner of the screen and use it to complete the table below.
|Estimated Resident Population of Australia is:|
|One new person is added to Australia’s population every |
2. Is Canberra time the same as Eastern Standard Time?
3. Complete the following statements
4. Natural increase is the difference between the number of births and the number of deaths.
Births – Deaths = Natural Increase
Use the information in question 3 to determine if Australia is experiencing a natural increase or a natural decrease in population………………………………………….
5. Complete the following statements from the population clock:
6. The diagram below shows the inputs and outputs which make up the population of a place. Insert the words provided below in the appropriate boxes on the diagram.
Births Deaths Immigration Emigration
When this activity was designed the population of Australia was 22,623,298.
7. Calculate the difference between the number of people in Australia when you are viewing and when the activity was created.
8. Use this information to calculate an approximate date when the activity was created and show your working.
This page last updated 12 November 2013