Education Services home page > CensusAtSchool home page > Year 9 Resources
CaSQ 32B - Using the Environmental Deviation from the Mean
You can download this activity as a rich text file (RTF) using the link at the bottom of the page.
Task: Calculating the deviation from the mean
The following table shows the mean value calculated for all students who completed the 2010 CensusAtSchool questionnaire.
1. For each State or Territory, calculate its overall mean.
Conserving old growth forests
Protecting coastal/marine environments
State/Territory Overall mean
2. For each State or Territory, shade in red the ratings that are below its overall mean.
3. Comment on any patterns or differences you see when you compare the overall mean for each State or Territory and how each rating compares with its overall mean.
4. For your own State or Territory, discuss the results when compared to the other States and Territories and give possible reasons.
5. Explain how you would go about collecting evidence for the reasons you gave in question 4.
|Download the full activity: |
This page last updated 12 November 2013