CensusAtSchool home page > Mathematics - Quick C@S Activities
CaSQ 10A - Ratio, Fractions, Decimals and Percentages
You can download this activity as a rich text file (RTF) using the link at the bottom of the page.
|How to: Get a Random Sample from CensusAtSchool|
Go to the CensusAtSchool Random Sampler to download a sample.
Reference year: (select year) Sample size: At least 30 students
Select questions: Which state/territory do you live in
Location: Select location Year level: (select a range of year levels)
To protect privacy there is a rule built into the sampler that the requested sample size cannot exceed 10% of the respondents for the parameters entered.
1. In your CensusAtSchool random sample, find the question about ‘which state/territory do you live in’ Tally the data in the Frequency column of the table below.
2. Complete the rest of the table for ‘Ratio, Fraction, Decimal and Percentage’
|Total||30||30:30 or 1:1||30/30 or 1/1||1.0||100%|
3. Choose one of the categories from the table, (Ratio, Fraction, Decimal or Percentage) and fill in the map of Australia by writing the appropriate number in each state. Do not choose frequency.
4. Which state has the largest portion?
5. Which state has the smallest portion?
6. Rank all the states from largest to smallest portions of the population.
- Outline in red the border of the state you live in
- Shade in green the state with the largest portion
- Shade in yellow the state with the smallest portion
|Download the full activity: ||
To provide any feedback regarding this activity, please contact ABS Education Services on 1800 623 273 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to Activities List for Mathematics Quick Activities.
This page last updated 12 February 2013