Education Services > Quick Geography Activities
GeoQ 04 – Which country do Australians come from?
|Please note: This task is designed to be completed by hand with the aid of a world map.|
You can download this activity as a Word (.doc) file using the links at the bottom of the page.
Australia’s Top 26 Countries of Birth
** Special Administrative Region
Selected countries of birth
|UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man|
|New Zealand |
|China (excludes SARs and Taiwan)**|
|Korea, Republic of (South)|
|Hong Kong (SAR of China)**|
|United States of America|
|Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)|
Source: Migration, Australia, 2009-10. (ABS cat. no. 3412.0)
^ERP: Estimated Resident Population refers to all people, regardless of nationality, citizenship or legal status, who usually live in Australia, with the exception of foreign diplomatic personnel and their families. It is the official measure of the population of Australia.
1. Australia is a multi-cultural country. In your own words explain what this term means.
2. On a map of the world locate and shade the top 26 countries.
3. Use your map to name a country or countries
- furthest from Australia
- on the Equator
- on Longitude 00
- in Africa
- in Europe (two examples)
- in Asia (two examples)
- bordering the Pacific Ocean (two examples)
- bordering the Indian Ocean (two examples)
- islands (four examples)
Select ONE of the countries listed and find answers to the following:
- Population of the country
- Name of the capital city
- Colours on the flag
- A popular dish from the country
- The national flower
- A famous monument or place in the country
- A famous person
- The national sport
- A famous sportsperson
- A film star, author or musician from the country
Create a question for each of the pieces of information and feed these into a class quiz about the countries that have helped make Australia a multi-cultural country.
To provide any feedback regarding this activity, please contact ABS Education Services on 1800 623 273 or email email@example.com.
Back to Quick Geography Activities