Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Catalogue Number
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
5518.0.55.001 - Government Finance Statistics, Education, Australia, 2012-13 Quality Declaration 
Latest ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 28/05/2014   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product

MAIN FEATURES


This release contains statistics on expenditure on education by the general government sector for the period 2003–04 to 2012–13. These data are presented on an accrual accounting basis and are taken from the system of Government Finance Statistics (GFS).

Government expenditure on education refers to expenditure on all levels of education, such as pre-school, primary, secondary, university, and technical and further education (TAFE), by the general government sector. It excludes expenditure on courses provided by non-educational institutions, such as the vocational training programs of private businesses.

The summary tables below present government operating expenses on education by level of government, by purpose (i.e. by type of education), and by economic transaction (i.e. by type of expenditure) for the period 2007–08 to 2012–13.

Operating expenditure on education by all levels of general government increased by $3,711m (5%), from $75,852m in 2011–12 to $79,563m in 2012–13. Total expenditure on education by the Commonwealth Government was $29,334m, with expenditure by the state and local governments totalling $52,780m. Intra-sector transfers were $25,481m.

Of the total operating expenditure on education in 2012–13, $40,625m (51%) was spent on primary and secondary education and $29,097m (37%) on tertiary education (universities and TAFEs). Employee expenses of $41,095m accounted for 52% of total educational expenses with the remaining 48% being on non-employee expenses ($18,133m), depreciation ($3,523m), and transfer expenses ($16,812m).


GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, By level of government

2007–08
2008–09
2009–10
2010–11
2011–12
2012–13
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Commonwealth Government
18 694
21 905
35 709
33 794
28 728
29 334
State and Local Governments
39 595
43 322
49 118
49 959
51 026
52 780
Multi-jurisdictional (a)
15 600
17 748
18 515
19 996
21 302
22 929
Less: Intra-sector transfers
18 370
20 609
31 872
28 083
25 204
25 481
All Levels of Government
55 519
62 366
71 469
75 666
75 852
79 563

(a) The multi-jurisdictional sector contains units where jurisdiction is shared between two or more governments, or the classification of a unit to a jurisdiction is otherwise unclear. For education the only type of units falling into this category are public universities.

GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, By purpose, All levels of government

2007–08
2008–09
2009–10
2010–11
2011–12
2012–13
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Primary and secondary education
30 496
33 106
39 102
40 167
38 737
40 625
Tertiary education
20 559
23 022
24 197
26 183
27 438
29 097
Pre-school & education not definable by level
2 439
2 983
3 089
3 325
4 216
4 452
Transportation of students
1 261
1 326
1 352
1 381
1 401
1 354
Education n.e.c.
763
1 930
3 729
4 610
4 060
4 034
Total
55 519
62 366
71 469
75 666
75 852
79 563


GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, By economic transaction, All levels of government

2007–08
2008–09
2009–10
2010–11
2011–12
2012–13
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Employee expenses
30 172
32 934
35 050
37 233
39 131
41 095
Non-employee expenses
13 146
14 810
15 710
16 199
17 450
18 133
Depreciation of fixed assets
2 262
2 442
2 657
2 892
3 233
3 523
Current transfer expenses
9 611
11 663
15 656
17 087
15 678
16 365
Capital transfer expenses
328
518
2 396
2 256
359
447
Total
55 519
62 366
71 469
75 666
75 852
79 563


For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070, email <client.services@abs.gov.au> or Public Finance on (07) 3222 6414, email <public.finance@abs.gov.au>. The ABS Privacy Policy outlines how the ABS will handle any personal information that you provide to us.

Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window

Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.