20/08/2007 Note: This reissue is to update revisions to previously published data and the presentation of selected data items. Re-Issue Notice
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Karen MacLennan on Canberra (02) 6252 6134.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
One of the principal requirements of the 2006 CHINS was to maintain comparability with the 2001 CHINS so that the progress of programs implemented since the 2001 collection could be assessed. Accordingly, most of the questions asked in the 2001 collection were also asked in 2006.
CHINS Content Changes
The main differences between the collections are that the 2006 CHINS:
For further details about content changes, refer to Appendix 1: Comparability between 2001 and 2006 CHINS.
- includes new questions in the housing questionnaire on housing management, income and expenditure, permanent dwellings and acquisitions and disposals
- includes new questions in the community questionnaire on population increases, community needs, public facilities, water supply, electricity and gas supply, transport and communication facilities
- includes enhancements to a number of modules to improve data quality and provide more detailed information
- includes additional categories to questions on health programs, medical facilities and professionals to reflect current policies and programs
- excludes questions on Indigenous housing organisations' incorporation status, providers and number of housing grants, and own funds used to improve housing stock
- excludes, for discrete Indigenous communities, selected water supply questions, and questions on postal services, environmental health workers, first aid clinic/box and chemist/dispensary.
CHINS Table Changes
Since the 2001 issue, some tables have been changed to expand the level of detail presented. These changes include:
The number of tables presented in this publication has reduced significantly from the 2001 publication, however the topic content is not affected by this reduction. Of the data items available in CHINS, the data covered remains the same as the 2001 publication, as related data items have now been presented in fewer tables.
- the presentation of housing and community data by non-remote, remote and very remote areas
- the presentation of community data by reported population size to include more detailed breakdowns for larger communities and to merge smaller communities into one category ' less than 50 people'
- the addition of more tables presenting data by remoteness and State or Territory.
Tables also accommodate new data items and remove data series no longer collected.
Where tables have been presented in a new format and include 2001 data, 2001 data has been re-aggregated to include the new breakdowns.
This page last updated 17 August 2007