NAME OF COLLECTION
Holiday Tracking Survey
Tourism and Travel Team
Roy Morgan Research
411 Collins St.
MELBOURNE VIC 3000
Telephone: 03 9629 6888
Facsimile: 03 9629 1250
To monitor the holiday preferences, intentions and behaviour of Australian residents and to track destination-based travel advertising for Australian States and Territories.
An ongoing tracking survey of holiday and leisure travel. This survey is a component of Roy Morgan Single Source, a large scale omnibus survey of media and product consumption using a stratified random probability sample of households. Information is collected from residents aged 14 and over.
In Australia, data is collected via face-to-face interview and self-completion questionnaire from approximately 25,000 respondents. In other markets, data is collected via Computer Assisted Telephone Interviewing and self-completion questionnaire. The sample varies in each market.
Country, State/Territory/Region, Capital and major cities.
Frequency of data availability
Monthly, quarterly and annually.
Most data items available from 1993.
Products and services available
Electronic ASTEROID database (quarterly or annually; data on compact disk with specialised cross-tabulation and analysis software).
Costs for products and services are available from the contact officer.
Monthly preliminary tables, syndicated quarterly reports
Available upon request
- Holiday and travel advertising awareness (unprompted/prompted for domestic and overseas destinations, medium, taglines);
- Travel preference (domestic and overseas destinations where people would like to go on holidays in the next two years);
- Travel intention (domestic and overseas destinations people are planning a holiday at, including at least one overnight stay);
- Travel behaviour in the last 12 months (number of trips and places visited, involving at least one overnight stay, in the last 12 months);
- Last trip behaviour (places visited, accommodation used, transport used, cost of trip, travel party, information sources, booking methods, and activities undertaken);
- Holiday types (phrases describing the types of holidays people took on their last trip and/or will take on their next trip);
- Brand specific services used (airlines and car hire companies used on last trip, and hotels/resorts stayed at in the last 12 months);
- Attitudes towards holidays and travel (wide range of attitudinal statements);
- Destination association (statements describing holidays in the Australian states/territories and New Zealand) only in Australia;
- Detailed demographics including: age and sex, household and respondent lifecycle, education level, employment status, household and respondent income, area of residence;
- Media usage (including newspaper and magazine readership, TV viewing, radio listening, cinema attendance and Internet usage);
- Psychographics (attitudes and Roy Morgan Values Segments) (Developed in conjunction with Colin Benjamin of The Horizons Network.); and
- Lifestyles and activities.