Survey of Superannuation Fund Performance
Name of Organisation
Australian Institute of Superannuation Trustees
313 La Trobe Street
MELBOURNE VIC 3000
Switchboard: (03) 9602 4511
Facsimile: (03) 9602 1727
Products and Services
Name/Title of Product
Survey of Superannuation Fund Performance (Report on the 1997 AIST/CMSF)
Publication $250.00 per issue.
About these statistics and to purchase these statistics
Ms Ros Bennett
Telephone: (03) 9602 4511
The report provides summaries of the overall range of investment returns and crediting rates for all funds and for various sectors of funds averaged over the three years 1993-94 to 1995-96 and actual investment returns and crediting rates for each of the three years to the last financial year 1995-96.
Purpose of Data
These data were compiled in response to demands from AIST members for a survey which allows their funds performance to be compared against other comparable funds.
34 Corporate Funds, 37 Industry Funds and 17 Public Sector Funds.
Superannuation Data Items
Data are collected solely by AIST.
Method of Collection
All members of AIST; approximately 800 members of those 350 funds. Initial sample size of 20. The information was collected via a survey prepared by AIST.
Collected in December and distributed in April.
Data are available from 1993-94.
Australia. The information is not broken down by State. However data was sought from AIST members in all Australian States.
Confidentiality and Availability
The name of the participating funds is confidential. Each fund was provided with a unique identifier number which is not available to other funds.
- Annual returns in the 3 years (1993-96) - all funds.
- Average returns and average crediting rate by allocation to growth assets for 3 years (1993-96)
- Average returns and average crediting rate by allocation to growth assets (1993-94, 1994-95, 1995-96)
- Returns, crediting rate and allocation to growth assets by benefit type (hybrid, accumulation, defined) average 3 years (1993-96) and 1993-94, 1994-95 and 1995-96.
- Returns, credit rate and allocation to growth assets by fund type (industry, corporate, public sector) average 3 years (1993-96) and 1993-94, 1994-95 and 1995-96.
- Returns by size of fund (assets) average 3 years (1993-96) and 1993-94, 1994-95, and 1995-96. Asset breakdown available for funds with assets of $1m - $100m, $100m - $500m, $500m - $1b and $1b - $2b.