This section outlines the products and services currently available and those expected to be available over the coming months:
More detailed results for the topics presented in this release, as well as additional topics from the survey, are expected to be released on the ABS website in 2010.
To return the survey's information to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, a series of thematic releases are planned for distribution (in printed format) to Indigenous communities, organisations and schools. Further information will be available on the ABS website.
The publication, National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Survey, 2008 (cat no. 4714.0), presents a summary of findings from the survey at national, state and remoteness levels. The publication was released in October 2009 and is available free-of-charge from the ABS website. An electronic version of the publication tables in spreadsheet format was released with the summary publication. The spreadsheets also provide the proportions and related relative standard errors (RSEs) for each publication table.
Access to microdata
For users who wish to undertake more detailed analysis of the survey data, two Expanded Confidentialised Unit Record Files (CURFs) are being released:
- a State/Territory CURF; and
- a State/Territory by ASGC Remoteness Structure CURF.
The Expanded CURFs will be accessible through the ABS Remote Access Data Laboratory (RADL) system. The RADL is an online database query system that supports access to the CURFs. Microdata are held on a server at the ABS and accessed by submitting programs to interrogate and analyse data, as well as access the results. More information about accessing the CURFs, the conditions of use and the RADL system is available from the:
- Using the CURFs chapter in this Users' guide;
- ABS website (see Services/ CURF Microdata/ Accessing CURF Microdata); and
- data item list - released in spreadsheet format as an attachment to this publication.
Data available on request
Special tabulations to meet individual requirements are available on request, subject to confidentiality and sampling variability constraints. Specific tabulations are provided on a 'user pays' basis and are available in printed or electronic form. The data items list from the survey has been released, in spreadsheet format as part of this publication.
For more information about the survey and associated products please contact the:
National Information and Referral Service:
T: 1300 135 070
F: 1300 135 211
M: Client Services, ABS, GPO Box 796, Sydney NSW 2001
Or contact the National Centre for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Statistics on 1800 633 216 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
With the release of this publication, a paper copy of the 2008 NATSISS survey questionnaire has also been made available on the ABS website.
Current ABS publications and other products available from the ABS website, include:
- National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Survey, 2002 (cat. no. 4714.0);
- National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Survey: Summary Booklet, 2002 (cat. no. 4714.0.55.003);
- National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Survey: Data Reference Package, 2002 (cat. no. 4714.0.55.002);
- The Health and Welfare of Australia's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples, 2008 (cat. no. 4704.0);
- National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Survey, 2004-05 (cat. no. 4715.0);
- National Health Survey and National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Survey 2004/05: Data reference package, 2004-05 (cat. no. 4363.0.55.002);
- Housing and Infrastructure in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities, Australia, 2006 (cat. no. 4710.0);
- Experimental Estimates and Projections, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, 1991 to 2021 (cat. no. 3238.0);
- Experimental Life Tables for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, 2005-2007 (cat. no. 3302.0.55.003);
- Population characteristics, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, 2006 (cat. no. 4713.0);
- Census of Population and Housing: Indigenous profile, 2006 (cat. no. 2002.0);
- Population Distribution, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, 2006 (cat. no. 4705.0);
- Research paper: Sample design issues for national surveys of the Indigenous population (Methodology Advisory Committee), 2008 (cat. no. 1352.0.55.096);
- Australian Social Trends (cat. no. 4102.0);
- National Health Survey: Summary of Results, 2007-08 (cat. no. 4364.0);
- General Social Survey: Summary results, Australia, 2006 (cat. no. 4159.0);
- General Social Survey: User Guide, Australia, 2006 (cat. no. 4159.0.55.002);
- Education and Work, Australia, May 2008 (cat. no. 6227.0);
- Labour Force Survey, Australia (cat. no. 6202.0);
- Household Income and Income Distribution, Australia, 2007-08 (cat. no. 6523.0); and
- Information Paper: Survey of Income and Housing, User Guide, Australia, 2007-08 (cat. no. 6553.0).
This page last updated 24 May 2011