REGIONAL STATISTICS MATTERS
Welcome to the final update of the 2013 edition of the What's New in Regional Statistics newsletter. Below is a brief stock take of the regional statistics news and information we have relayed so far this year, as well as an overview of recent news, and what's coming up in the back half of the year.
What's happened so far in 2013?
For each of these activities, you will find a news item listed in the table of contents:
What's happened more recently?
- New estimates of the sources and amount of personal income people received for 2010-11 were released in Estimates of Personal Income for Small Areas, Time Series, 2005-6 to 2010-11 (cat. no. 6524.0.55.002) on 29 October 2013.
- The Perspectives on Regional Australia: Non-school Qualifications in Regions, 2011 (cat. no. 1380.0.55.011) was released on 21 October 2013. This article is one of a series which looks at aspects of human capital - the knowledge and skills with which people contribute to society and the economy - in regional labour markets.
- On 3 October 2013 the ABS Rural, Environment and Agriculture Statistics Branch (REASB) published the final release from the 2011-12 annual cycle – the Gross Value of Irrigated Agricultural Production, 2011-12 (cat. no. 4610.0.55.008) which provides information about the value of production that has benefited from the assistance of irrigation. Data are presented at state and Natural Resource Management (NRM) levels, as well as for the Murray-Darling Basin.
- The information paper Census of Population and Housing: Submissions Report, 2016 (cat. no. 2007.0.55.001) was released on 26 September 2013. The report summarises the key themes emerging from the public submissions received by the ABS on the proposed content and procedures for the 2016 Census of Population and Housing.
- On 26 September 2013 ABS released Tourist Accommodation, Small Area Data, Australia, Jun 2013 (cat. no. 8635.0.55.002) which presents Tourism Region data collected from accommodation businesses in the June quarter 2013 Survey of Tourist Accommodation (STA). Data by star grade was released for Tourism Regions and Statistical Area Level 2 geographies in each state publication (cat. nos. 8635.1.55.001 to 8635.8.55.001).
- The ABS REASB published a series of releases at Natural Resource Management (NRM) and Statistical Area Level 4 (SA4). All the publications present estimates from the 2011-12 Agricultural Resource Management Survey (ARMS). The 'Rural, Agriculture and Environment Developments' page includes links to the publications.
- Perspectives on Regional Australia: Comparing Census Night and Usual Resident Populations in Local Government Areas, 2011 (cat. no. 1380.0.55.009), released on 16 September 2013, provides an interesting picture about where people recorded they usually live and where they are on Census Night.
- Revised Estimated Resident Population (ERP) data for June 2012 were released on 30 August 2013 in Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2012 (cat. no. 3218.0). Age and sex breakdowns of these estimates were also released on the same day in Population by Age and Sex, Regions of Australia, 2012 (cat. no. 3235.0). This release includes a 20 year revision to regional ERP and follows from the 20 year revisions to national and state/territory ERP, released in Australian Demographic Statistics, Dec 2012 (cat. no. 3101.0) on 20 June 2013.
- Final estimates of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, non-Indigenous and total populations of Australia at 30 June 2011, based on the 2011 Census of Population and Housing, for various geographies were released on 30 August 2013 in Estimates of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, June 2011 (cat. no. 3238.0.55.001).
- On 28 August 2013 Land Account: Queensland, Experimental Estimates, 2013 (cat. no. 4609.0.55.003) was released. Good progress is being made towards a national Land Account and it's likely the next state to be tackled will be South Australia.
- Tourism Region Maps and Correspondence File, Australia, 2013 (cat. no. 9503.0.55.001) was released on 26 August 2013. The ABS and other organisations publish tourism data by Tourism Regions and this product provides maps and a correspondence file for Tourism Regions for each state and the Northern Territory.
- The Perspectives on Regional Australia: Business Owners in Regions, 2011 (cat. no. 1380.0.55.008) article, released on 20 August 2013, is one of a series of regional perspectives articles which look at different aspects of human capital in regional labour markets. This article focusses on the characteristics of people who own their own unincorporated business, the industries they work in and the income they earn from their business.
- A focus on regional variations in home ownership was released on 30 July 2013 in Perspectives on Regional Australia: Housing Arrangements - Home Ownership in Local Government Areas, 2011 (cat. no. 1380.0.55.010). This article uses data from the Census of Population and Housing to provide a regional perspective on home ownership rates in local government areas across Australia.
- Australian Statistical Geography Standard (ASGS): Volume 3 - Non ABS Structures, July 2013 (cat. no. 1270.0.55.003) was released on 23 July 2013. This includes changes since 1 July 2012 to regions which are not defined by the ABS, but which are supported by the ABS. There have been changes in local government areas, the Commonwealth Electoral Divisions and Tourism Regions.
- Counts of Australian Businesses, including Entries and Exits, Jun 2008 to Jun 2012 (cat. no. 8165.0) containing data sourced from the ABS Business Register was released on 21 May 2013. Two data cubes; employment size ranges and turnover size ranges for the number of businesses by industry division by Statistical Area Level 2 geography were added on 12 July 2013.
- On 28 June 2013 ABS released Tourist Accommodation, Small Area Data, Australia, Mar 2013 (cat. no. 8635.0.55.002) which presents Tourism Region data collected from accommodation businesses. Data by star grade was released for Tourism Regions and Statistical Area Level 2 geographies in each respective state publication (cat. nos. 8635.1.55.001 to 8635.8.55.001).
- Agricultural land usage and land management practices information at the Australian Agricultural Environments (AAE) regional levels were released in Agricultural Resource Management Practices, Australia, 2011-12 (cat. no. 4630.0) on 28 June 2013.
- Natural Resource Management Region data was released on 28 June in Land Management and Farming in Australia, 2011-12 (cat. no. 4627.0).
- Water Use on Australian Farms, 2011-12 (cat. no. 4618.0) was released on 31 May 2013 and contains estimates on water use on Australian farms for Murray-Darling Basin regions.
- On 27 May 2013 we released an update of the an update of the National Regional Profile (NRP), including 2007 to 2011 data.
- Estimates of the resident population for areas of Australia as at 30 June for 2011 and 2012 were released on 30 April 2013 in Regional Population Growth 2011-12 (cat. no. 3218.0).
- Census of Population and Housing: Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas (SEIFA), Australia, 2011 (cat. no. 2033.0.55.001) was released on 28 March 2013. This product can be used to rank areas within Australia according to four defined indexes of relative socio-economic advantage and disadvantage. For the first time, you can download files which will display SEIFA data using Google Earth®, making interpretation easier.
- The ABS released Land Account: Victoria, Experimental Estimates, 2012 (cat. no. 4609.0.55.002) on 13 December 2012 and additional information was released in March 2013.
- On 28 November 2012 ABS released Estimates of Personal Income for Small Areas, 2009-10 (cat. no. 6524.0.55.002), including data for wage and salary earners, followed by time series data for 2005-06 to 2009-10 being released on 18 February 2013.
- ABS released an article explaining population turnover on 21 January 2013 in Perspectives on Regional Australia: Population Growth and Turnover in Local Government Areas (LGAs), 2006-2011 (cat. no. 1380.0.55.007).
- The ABS made two submissions to the "House Standing Committee on Regional Australia: Inquiry into the use of ‘fly-in, fly-out’ (FIFO) workforce practices in regional Australia". More information is provided in the Other News section of this newsletter.
- The results of an investigation by the ABS into use of a new regional data source were released in Experimental Estimates of Employees by Industry and Workplace Location, Victoria, 2005-06 to 2010-11 (cat. no. 8176.2.55.001).
The Wage and Salary Earner Statistics for Small Areas, Time Series, 2005-06 to 2010-11
(cat. no. 5673.0.55.003) was released on 20 December 2013 and contains time series data for 2005-06 to 2010-11. The estimates have been compiled using aggregated individual income tax data from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). Data cubes contain various cross-tabulations of the characteristics of wage and salary earners such as age, sex, occupation and wage and salary income for local government areas, Statistical Area Levels 2, 3 and 4.
The Microdata: Australian Census Longitudinal Dataset, 2006-2011
(cat. no. 2080.0) was issued on 18 December 2013 and contains information about registration, pricing and access to ACLD, as well as details about the data items in the dataset. The ACLD is an exciting new dataset which brings together data from the 2006 Census with data from the 2011 Census to build a picture of changes in society. The Information Paper: Australian Census Longitudinal Dataset, Methodology and Quality Assessment, 2006-2011
(cat. no. 2080.5) details the linkage methodology, quality of the linked data and weighting strategy. The Australians' journeys through life: Stories from the Australian Census Longitudinal Dataset, 2006 - 2011
(cat. no. 2081.0) is a series of articles analysing and demonstrating the ACLD and gives a glimpse of the type and range of information that the ALCD can provide.
Census Sample Files (CSF) for the 2011 Census were released on 12 December 2013 in Microdata: Census of Population and Housing, Census Sample File, 2011
(cat. no. 2037.0.30.001). The available products provide sample records for 1% and 5% of the 2011 Census of Population and Housing. A detailed list of data items is available on the Downloads tab. The CSF is suitable for advanced users of Census data and is available as a charged product.
Motor Vehicle Census data is available for the first time in TableBuilder, details were released on 18 December 2013 in Microdata: Census of Motor Vehicles, Australia, 2013
(cat. no. 9309.0.55.003). A detailed list of data items available at Postcode level is located on the Downloads tab.
A chapter on ‘Rural and regional progress’ has been included in Measures of Australia's Progress, 2013
. This issue, released on 14 November 2013, discusses progress indicators at the sub-state level for each of the MAP themes: society, economy, environment and governance. The 'Data and downloads' page of the MAP product includes spreadsheets containing 'Rural and regional' data and information about every MAP data item.
Deaths, Australia, 2012
(cat. no. 3302.0) released on 7 November 2013 presents statistics on deaths and mortality for local government areas, Statistical Area Levels 2 and 4, and Remoteness Areas.
On 13 September 2013 remoteness areas data was released in Preschool Education, Australia, 2012
(cat. no. 4240.0). This release presents selected tables previously released under the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (ASGC), and re-released under the new Australian Statistical Geography Standard (ASGS).
What's coming up?
As normal, you can find out what's coming up in the Regional Statistics Schedule
page contained in this newsletter.
We will also be continuing to work on our series of articles which provide "Perspectives on Regional Australia". Be aware that these articles cover the whole of Australia, so they look at city and country regions and future articles will continue to focus on housing arrangements.
The Productivity Commission has commenced a study of Geographic Labour Mobility (external link)
. The ABS prepared an initial submission
. We expect that ABS data and measurement concepts will be important for this research.
We are also continuing to work on our "Regional Economic Data Directions" (REDD) project, and this was discussed at the June ABS State Statistical Forum, with the work receiving good support from State and Territory representatives. Details of the REDD project were also presented at the 2013 Local Government Researchers' Forum
held in Adelaide in June and the 2013 Sustainable Economic Growth For Regional Australia
conference held in Coffs Harbour on October.
We will continue to keep you up to date on our plans, releases and appearances with regular updates to this newsletter.
As always, if you have any feedback about this newsletter, or any of the above activities, we would love to hear from you. You can send feedback to email@example.com
, or call Gareth Edwards on (08) 8237 7674.
We wish all our readers an enjoyable Christmas, and a safe and happy New Year.
Rural and Regional Statistics National Centre