As a result of the consultation, the ABS released Position Paper - ABS Review of Counting the Homeless Methodology, August 2011 (cat. no. 2050.0.55.002) in August 2011 that outlined:
- the key themes identified from the consultation and the submissions received;
- addressed some of the issues raised in the consultation;
- reiterated and further articulated the concerns expressed in the Discussion Paper about the underestimation of key groups of homeless people;
- noted the establishment of the Homelessness Statistics Reference Group; and
- described future developments in homelessness estimation, including but not limited to a proposed quality study about homeless school students.