Economic Analysis and Reporting
The Economic Analysis and Reporting Program encompasses macroeconomic statistics research, economic analysis and reporting and economic integration functions. This consolidated set of functions is designed to improve the ABS’s capability to produce high quality macroeconomic statistics in the longer term, while addressing emerging priorities in the short term. Analytical activities in the program range from research projects to improve the accuracy and coherence of existing economic statistics and develop new statistical products, through to operational efforts to increase the efficiency of statistical operations.
The program compiles and publishes aggregate market sector and industry level multifactor productivity statistics and conducts research into the measurement and interpretation of these statistics.
Regular publications of the program include:
- annual productivity statistics presented in Australian System of National Accounts (ABS cat. no. 5204.0)
- Experimental Estimates of Industry Multifactor Productivity (ABS cat. no. 5260.0.55.002), an annual release that presents a range of productivity estimates at the industry level
- Additionally, the program produces research or information papers on the following areas:
- productivity measurement
- economic analysis using the Business Longitudinal Database and other microdata sets
- human capital measurement
- periodic reviews and standards upgrades for macroeconomic statistics.
The main medium term development in the program are to:
Improve productivity estimates by:
- implementing new measures of industry level quality adjusted labour input for the ABS industry multifactor productivity datacube – due end 2012
- researching the incorporation of business survey based employment information in constructing labour input indexes – due mid 2013
- undertaking research to develop measures of productivity for hard-to-measure industries – ongoing.
Undertake periodic reviews and standards upgrades for macroeconomic statistics including:
- exploring the suitability of administrative data in compiling official economic statistics including implementing price measurement with supermarket scanner data – due mid–2013
- assisting Pacific island countries with their participation in the 2011 International (Price) Comparison Program – due mid 2013
- undertaking research into aspects of the quality of macroeconomic and financial statistics arising from various reviews – ongoing
- researching statistical treatments and gather data for inclusion of emissions trading and carbon credits schemes in economic accounts – due end 2012.
Update measures of human capital using the 2011 Census by:
- releasing a research paper on updated measures of human capital stock and flows due mid-2013
- releasing a research paper on updated measures of rates of returns to education due mid-2013.
Industry & Productivity Statistics Branch
This page last updated 8 August 2012