Corporate Services provides leadership and strategic support to assist the ABS in achieving its strategic directions. It does this through partnering with business areas in the ABS by:
- providing timely, relevant, high quality and best practice corporate services with a customer and business focus to meet the changing needs of internal and external clients
- engaging and influencing stakeholders to ensure the ABS’s interests are considered and accommodated, including in whole of government initiatives
- positioning the ABS to meet its current and future workforce needs
- provision of high quality corporate infrastructure, and timely and comprehensive management information
- leading the ABS in the areas of culture, leadership capability development, and financial and people management.
Outputs for corporate services fall into the following categories: services that are delivered to ABS employees and policy advice, framework development and internal consultancy. These are provided through two organisational groups: Financial Management Branch and Human Resources Branch. Each branch operates on a national basis and provides services to all ABS offices. A number of national business lines are delivered from locations other than, or in conjunction with central office.
The main outputs of the corporate services program are:
- a full range of integrated and coordinated services to support the Human Resources (HR) life cycle, from recruitment through to retirement
- leadership, support and guidance (including building capability) to ensure the ABS is maximising individual employees’ potential
- a full range of services to support the physical working environment, including implementing changes associated with the strategic use of property and space management
- leadership and consultancy on workforce planning, budgeting, business continuity, financial reporting, financial policies and support
- maintenance and development of corporate support systems and services.
The main medium-term developments in the program are to:
- optimise, upgrade and integrate HR and Financial Systems and associated management information – ABS Pay and Leave will be launched 2012
- provide leadership and support to deliver ABS Future Organisational Sustainability (AFOS) successfully including the development of guiding principles which assist in determining the allocation of work and resources across the ABS – ongoing
- implement changed employment arrangements resulting from the new Enterprise Agreements for ABS employees – ongoing
- embed the new national corporate services delivery model and continue to enhance client service capability and culture – ongoing
- implement the key ‘ABS people plan’ strategies (including those related to workforce planning, people and performance management, learning and development, leadership and general capability enhancement and cultural renewal) – ongoing
- support the business outputs of the ABS by ensuring the ongoing development and maintenance of statistical capability, leadership and business skills in the workforce – ongoing.
Human Resources Branch
Chief Financial Officer
Financial Management Branch
This page last updated 8 August 2012