Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate this page
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
4513.0 - Criminal Courts, Australia, 2001-02  
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 09/04/2003   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product


April 9, 2003
Embargoed: 11:30 AM (AEST)
More than 70% of guilty defendants received a custodial order

More than one in two (54%) defendants proven guilty in Australia's Higher Criminal Courts in 2001-02, received a custodial order to be served in a correctional facility or in the community and 17% received a custodial order involving a fully suspended sentence as their principal sentence type, according to figures released today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

Of the defendants who received a non-custodial order as their principal sentence type, the most common for both males and females was a community supervision or community work order (70% and 73% respectively).

Of the 17,997 finalised Higher Criminal Court defendants in 2001-02, approximately 85% (15,229) were finalised by adjudication (proven guilty or acquitted). Of these adjudicated defendants:
  • Nearly one in two (48%) were males aged between 20-34 years. Males represented nearly nine in ten (88%) adjudicated defendants;
  • Almost three quarters were in five principal offence categories, including: acts intended to cause injury (including assault) (20%); unlawful entry with intent (including burglary and break and enter) (14%); offences related to robbery and extortion (13%); illicit drug offences (13%); and offences related to sexual assault (10%);
  • Males were more likely than females to have a principal offence related to sexual assault (12% of males and 1% of females), while females were more likely to have a principal offence related to deception (6% of males and 17% of females);
  • Guilty pleas accounted for 84% of adjudicated finalisations, while the remaining 16% (2,474) were subject to a trial outcome. Of all trial outcomes, approximately half were found guilty; and
  • Less than one in ten (8%) were acquitted, however this proportion varied across the principal offence categories, ranging from 25% for sexual assault to 2% for deception.

Further information is in Criminal Courts, 2001-02 (cat. no. 4513.0).

Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window

Commonwealth of Australia 2016

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.