Australian Bureau of Statistics
3101.0 - Australian Demographic Statistics, Dec 2009 Quality Declaration
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 24/06/2010
|Page tools: Print Page Print All RSS Search this Product|
Australia's high population growth starts to slow: ABS
Preliminary estimates of Australia's annual population growth rate slowed to 2.0% over 2009, according to figures released today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics. The preliminary annual growth rate peaked at 2.2% in the year ended 31 December 2008.
Australia's population reached 22.2 million by the end of 2009, growing by 432,600 people over the year. Net overseas migration accounted for 64% of this growth, with the remaining 36% due to natural increase (births minus deaths).
Based on preliminary figures, there were 295,700 births and 140,800 deaths registered during 2009, both down slightly on 2008 figures.
Preliminary net overseas migration recorded for 2009 was 277,700 people, down from 301,200 people in 2008. Preliminary net overseas migration for 2009 was the difference between 508,000 arrivals and 230,300 departures.
Western Australia's population continued to record the fastest annual growth rate of all states and territories, growing 2.7% during 2009, followed by Queensland (2.4%), the Northern Territory (2.2%), Victoria (2.1%), the Australian Capital Territory (1.8%), New South Wales (1.6%), South Australia (1.3%) and Tasmania (0.9%).
More details are available in Australian Demographic Statistics, December quarter 2009 (cat. no. 3101.0).
For population estimates at the regional level please see Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2008-09 (cat. no. 3218.0) and Population by Age and Sex, Regions of Australia, 2008 (cat. no. 3235.0).
Please ensure that you attribute the Australian Bureau of Statistics (or the ABS) as the source when reporting on ABS data.
These documents will be presented in a new window.
This page last updated 28 September 2010