Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
3101.0 - Australian Demographic Statistics, Dec 2004  
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 03/06/2005   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product

MEDIA RELEASE

June 03, 2005
Embargoed: 11:30 AM (AEST)
70/2005

Australia's Population Reaches 20.2 Million

Australia's population increased beyond 20.2 million in the December quarter 2004, according to figures released today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

During 2004, Australia's population increased by 232,000 people, representing a population growth rate of 1.2%. The population growth rate for the December quarter 2004 (0.3%) was similar to that reported for the December quarter 2003.

Natural increase (the excess of births over deaths) during 2004 was 122,300 people and contributed 52.7% to Australia's annual population growth. Net overseas migration contributed the remaining 47.3% (109,700 people).

All states and territories gained population in 2004, with Queensland experiencing the largest increase (75,100 people) and the Australian Capital Territory the smallest (1,200 people).

By the end of December 2004, Victoria's population exceeded 5 million. This milestone was achieved with the population growing by 13,400 (0.3%) since 30 September 2004. During 2004, net overseas migration was the largest contributor to Victoria's population growth (54.2%).

During 2004, the Northern Territory recorded its largest annual population growth rate (1.0%) since 2000 with a gain of 1,900 people. Consistent with recent years, the Northern Territory's population growth was offset by losses from net interstate migration, however 2004 recorded the smallest population loss from net interstate migration (a loss of 1,200 people) since 1999.

Further details about recent trends in Australia's population were released today in Australian Demographic Statistics, December quarter 2004 (cat. no. 3101.0).

Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window

Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.