3101.0 - Australian Demographic Statistics, Dec 2010 Quality Declaration
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 23/06/2011
|Page tools: Print Page Print All RSS Search this Product|
Australia's population growth rate continues to slow
Australia's annual population growth rate slowed to 1.5% for the year ending December 2010, according to preliminary figures released today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). This is down from a peak growth rate of 2.2% in the year ending December 2008.
Australia's population reached 22,477,400 people at the end of December 2010, growing by 325,500 people over the year. This is down from the previous year where the population grew by 421,300 people, and is the lowest growth since the year ending December 2006 when an increase of 316,200 people was recorded.
Net overseas migration accounted for 53% of the growth for the year ending December 2010, with the remaining 47% due to natural increase (births minus deaths). Net overseas migration continued to decline to the end of December 2010. The preliminary net overseas migration estimate for the year ending December 2010 (171,100 people) was 35% lower than that for December 2009 (264,200 people).
Natural increase for the year ending December 2010 declined 2,800 people when compared to the previous year. This is due to a 2% increase in the number of registered deaths (143,500 deaths), while the number of registered births (297,900 births) remained steady.
Western Australia continued to record the fastest population growth rate at 2.1%, while both Tasmania and the Northern Territory recorded the slowest growth rate (0.8%).
Further information is available in Australian Demographic Statistics, December Quarter 2010 (cat. no. 3101.0).
For population estimates at the regional level, please see Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2009–10 (cat. no. 3218.0) and Population by Age and Sex, Regions of Australia, 2009 (cat. no. 3235.0).
Media note: When reporting ABS data you must attribute the Australian Bureau of Statistics (or the ABS) as the source.
These documents will be presented in a new window.