Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
1363.0 - Book Publishers, Australia, 2001-02  
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 12/09/2003   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product

MEDIA RELEASE

September 12, 2003
Embargoed: 11:30 AM (AEST)
95/2003

130 Million books sold in 2001-02

A total of 130 million books, with a sales value of $1,341m, were sold by book publishers or businesses with major book publishing activity in 2001-02, according to figures released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics today.

This represents an increase of 23% in the number of books sold from 2000-01 (105 million books) to 2001-02. The increase means that the number of books sold by publishers has returned to the level of sales reported in 1999-2000 (129 million books).

The 238 businesses involved in book publishing in 2001-02 sold $1,329m of printed books covering education ($534m), non-fiction ($412m), fiction ($246m) and children's books ($137m). A further $12m of electronic and audio books were also sold.

The vast majority of books were sold to the domestic market (86% or $1,155m). The remainder (14% or $186m) were exported overseas, primarily to the United States of America ($68m), New Zealand ($37m) and the United Kingdom ($27m).

The 20 largest book publishers in terms of income earned an average of $55m in 2001-02, while the remaining book publishers earned an average of $2m. Overall the 238 businesses involved in book publishing earned an average of $6m each.

Income from book sales, combined with a further $130m from other activities like sales of other goods, services and book royalties, brought total income of the businesses to $1,471m in 2001-02. The 20 largest book publishers (8% of businesses) sold 73% of books and earned 74% ($1,093m) of the total income.

Total expenses for the 238 businesses were $1,389m. The largest cost was for printing ($288m or 21% of total expenses) the majority of which occurred in Australia ($160m). This was followed by expenditure on wages and salaries ($233m). These businesses also spent $195m on imported books. The largest 20 book publishers incurred 75% ($1,036m) of the total expenses.

While the overall number of books sold and the associated income from book sales increased in 2001-02, higher levels of expenditure meant the operating profit of businesses fell marginally from $63m in 2000-01 to $61m in 2001-02. The profit margin of businesses involved in book publishing fell from 4.6% to 4.1%.

Further details are available in Book Publishers, Australia, 2001-02 (cat. no. 1363.0).

Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window

Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.