ABOUT THIS PRODUCT
Australian Historical Population Statistics contains a wide range of demographic data in spreadsheet format, going back, where possible, to the beginning of European settlement (1788) of Australia. Statistics are included on population size and growth, population distribution, population age-sex structure, births, deaths, migration, marriages and divorces.
ABS sees this as an evolving product with new data sets being added in response to the need and the availability of data in electronic form. Comments on this product, including apparent anomalies and omissions as well as suggestions of existing data for inclusion, would be appreciated. If you wish to make comments or discuss any issues, please contact Alex Wahlin by telephone on (02) 6252 6762 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org marked to the attention of Demography Section, ABS Central Office.
LATEST AVAILABLE DATA
This product is updated periodically. The next release is envisioned for 2008 with the availability of final population estimates rebased to 2006 census results. More up-to-date information may be available from the source products stated at the bottom of each spreadsheet. A list of Related ABS and Other Products is also available in paragraph 52 of the Explanatory Notes.
Vital and migration statistics
At the time of the current update (23 May 2006) the latest available data were:
Estimated resident population (ERP)
The latest available ERP data are featured in population size and growth, population distribution and population age-sex structure tables, and are used to calculate the various rates found in births, deaths, migration and marriages and divorces tables.
- Births 2004.
- Deaths 2004.
- Migration 2004-05.
- Marriages 2004.
- Divorces 2004.
ERP data undergoes changing status from preliminary, to revised and then final. The status of the latest available ERP data in the current update are:
Indigenous population estimates
The latest available Indigenous population estimates are 2001 census based.
- Final - All ERP data up to and including 30 June 2001.
- Revised - ERP data from 31 December 2001 to 30 June 2004.
- Preliminary - ERP data from 31 December 2004 to 30 June 2005.
The following revisions to previously published estimates have been made:
- Tables 17 and 18: ERP for 2002 and 2003 are now presented on Australian Standard Geographical Classification (ASGC) 2005 boundaries.
- Tables 39 and 40: Total fertility rates for 1975 onwards have been re-calculated using single year of age of mother. Previously they were calculated using age of mother aggregated into five year age groups.
- Table 41: Net reproduction rate for the Northern Territory for 2001.
- Table 48: Life expectancy at birth for 1992 to 1996.
- Tables 49 to 56: The periods 1993-1995 and 1994-1996 were added.
- Table 60: Queensland total short-term departures for 2001 and Australia short-term residents departing for 2002.
- Table 65: Net interstate and overseas migration rate for 1996 to 2003.
- Table 87: The classification of countries used in this table has changed from the Australian Standard Classification of Countries for Social Statistics (ASCCSS) to the Standard Australian Classification of Countries (SACC). Previously ERP by country of birth using the ASCCSS was available from 1991 onwards. Data using the SACC is only available from 1996 onwards.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070.