Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
5518.0.55.001 - Government Finance Statistics, Education, Australia, 2010-11 Quality Declaration 
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 17/04/2012   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product

MAIN FEATURES


This release contains statistics on expenditure on education by the general government sector for the period 2001–02 to 2010–11. These data are presented on an accrual accounting basis and are taken from the system of Government Finance Statistics (GFS).

Government expenditure on education refers to expenditure on all levels of education, such as pre–school, primary, secondary, university, and technical and further education (TAFE), by the general government sector. It excludes expenditure on courses provided by non–educational institutions, such as the vocational training programs of private businesses.

The summary tables below present government operating expenses on education by level of government, by purpose (i.e. by type of education), and by economic transaction (i.e. by type of expenditure) for the period 2005–06 to 2010–11.

Operating expenditure on education by all levels of general government increased by $4,186m (5.9%), from $71,469m in 2009–10 to $75,655m in 2010–11. Total expenditure on education by the Commonwealth Government was $33,794, with expenditure by the state and local governments totalling $49,930m. Intra–sector transfers were $28,075m.

Of the total operating expenditure on education in 2010–11, $40,150m (53%) was spent on primary and secondary education and $26,202m (35%) on tertiary education (universities and TAFEs). Employee expenses of $37,210m accounted for 49% of total educational expenses with the remaining 51% being on non–employee expenses ($16,220m), depreciation ($2,900m), and transfer expenses ($19,324m).


GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, By level of government

2005–06
2006–07
2007–08
2008–09
2009–10
2010–11
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Commonwealth Government
15 813
16 416
18 694
21 905
35 709
33 794
State and Local Governments
35 540
37 382
39 595
43 322
49 116
49 930
Multi–jurisdictional (a)
13 584
14 208
15 600
17 748
18 515
20 006
Less: Intra–sector transfers
15 298
16 049
18 370
20 608
31 870
28 075
All Levels of Government
49 639
51 957
55 520
62 367
71 469
75 655

(a) The multi–jurisdictional sector contains units where jurisdiction is shared between two or more governments, or the classification of a unit to a jurisdiction is otherwise unclear. For education the only type of units falling into this category are public universities.

GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, By purpose, All levels of government

2005–06
2006–07
2007–08
2008–09
2009–10
2010–11
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Primary and secondary education
27 594
29 078
30 496
33 106
39 102
40 150
Tertiary education
18 147
18 778
20 560
23 023
24 199
26 202
Pre–school & education not definable by level
2 128
2 287
2 439
2 983
3 089
3 323
Transportation of students
1 122
1 106
1 261
1 326
1 352
1 381
Education n.e.c.
647
708
763
1 930
3 727
4 599
Total
49 639
51 957
55 520
62 367
71 469
75 655


GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, By economic transaction, All levels of government

2005–06
2006–07
2007–08
2008–09
2009–10
2010–11
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Employee expenses
27 180
28 257
30 172
32 934
35 050
37 210
Non–employee expenses
11 352
12 189
13 146
14 810
15 710
16 220
Depreciation of fixed assets
2 002
2 097
2 262
2 442
2 657
2 900
Current transfer expenses
8 755
9 137
9 612
11 664
15 657
17 087
Capital transfer expenses
350
276
328
518
2 396
2 237
Total
49 639
51 957
55 520
62 367
71 469
75 655


For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070, email <client.services@abs.gov.au> or Larissa Fischer on Canberra (02) 6252 5392, email <public.finance@abs.gov.au>.


Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window

Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.