Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
5518.0.55.001 - Government Finance Statistics, Education, Australia, 2011-12 Quality Declaration 
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 30/04/2013   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product

MAIN FEATURES


This release contains statistics on expenditure on education by the general government sector for the period 2002–03 to 2011–12. These data are presented on an accrual accounting basis and are taken from the system of Government Finance Statistics (GFS).

Government expenditure on education refers to expenditure on all levels of education, such as pre–school, primary, secondary, university, and technical and further education (TAFE), by the general government sector. It excludes expenditure on courses provided by non–educational institutions, such as the vocational training programs of private businesses.

The summary tables below present government operating expenses on education by level of government, by purpose (i.e. by type of education), and by economic transaction (i.e. by type of expenditure) for the period 2006–07 to 2011–12.

Operating expenditure on education by all levels of general government increased by $189m (0.2%), from $75,666m in 2010–11 to $75,855m in 2011–12. Total expenditure on education by the Commonwealth Government was $28,728m, with expenditure by the state and local governments totalling $51,026m. Intra–sector transfers were $25,198m.

Of the total operating expenditure on education in 2011–12, $38,737m (51%) was spent on primary and secondary education and $27,441m (36%) on tertiary education (universities and TAFEs). Employee expenses of $39,130m accounted for 52% of total educational expenses with the remaining 48% being on non–employee expenses ($17,490m), depreciation ($3,233m), and transfer expenses ($16,001m).


GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, By level of government

2006–07
2007–08
2008–09
2009–10
2010–11
2011–12
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Commonwealth Government
16 416
18 694
21 905
35 709
33 794
28 728
State and Local Governments
37 382
39 595
43 322
49 118
49 959
51 026
Multi–jurisdictional (a)
14 208
15 600
17 748
18 515
19 996
21 299
Less: Intra–sector transfers
16 049
18 370
20 609
31 872
28 083
25 198
All Levels of Government
51 957
55 519
62 366
71 469
75 666
75 855

(a) The multi–jurisdictional sector contains units where jurisdiction is shared between two or more governments, or the classification of a unit to a jurisdiction is otherwise unclear. For education the only type of units falling into this category are public universities.

GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, By purpose, All levels of government

2006–07
2007–08
2008–09
2009–10
2010–11
2011–12
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Primary and secondary education
29 078
30 496
33 106
39 102
40 167
38 737
Tertiary education
18 778
20 559
23 022
24 197
26 183
27 441
Pre–school & education not definable by level
2 287
2 439
2 983
3 089
3 325
4 216
Transportation of students
1 106
1 261
1 326
1 352
1 381
1 401
Education n.e.c.
708
763
1 930
3 729
4 610
4 060
Total
51 957
55 519
62 366
71 469
75 666
75855


GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, By economic transaction, All levels of government

2006–07
2007–08
2008–09
2009–10
2010–11
2011–12
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Employee expenses
28 257
30 172
32 934
35 050
37 231
39 130
Non–employee expenses
12 189
13 146
14 810
15 710
16 200
17 490
Depreciation of fixed assets
2 097
2 262
2 442
2 657
2 892
3 233
Current transfer expenses
9 137
9 611
11 663
15 656
17 087
15 644
Capital transfer expenses
276
328
518
2 396
2 256
357
Total
51 957
55 519
62 366
71 469
75 666
75 855


For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070, email <client.services@abs.gov.au> or Jon Shaw on Brisbane (07) 3222 6054, email <public.finance@abs.gov.au>.


Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window

Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.