Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
5518.0.55.001 - Government Finance Statistics, Education, Australia, 2007-08 Quality Declaration 
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 14/04/2009   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product

MAIN FEATURES

This release contains statistics on expenditure on education by the general government sector for the period 2002-03 to 2007-08. These data are presented on an accrual accounting basis and are taken from the system of Government Finance Statistics (GFS).

Government expenditure on education refers to expenditure on all levels of education, such as pre-school, primary, secondary, university, and technical and further education (TAFE), by the general government sector. It excludes expenditure on courses provided by non-educational institutions, such as the vocational training programs of private businesses.

The summary tables below present government operating expenses on education by level of government, by purpose (i.e. by type of education), and by economic transaction (i.e. by type of expenditure) for the period 2002-03 to 2007-08.

Expenditure on education by all levels of general government increased by $3,619 million (7.0%), from $51,854 million in 2006-07 to $55,473 million in 2007-08. Total expenditure on education by the Commonwealth Government reached $18,694 million, with expenditure by the state and local governments totalling $39,613.

Of the total expenditure on education, $30,544 million was spent on primary and secondary education and a further $20,489 million on tertiary education (universities and TAFE). Employee expenses of $30,111 million accounted for 54.3% of total educational expenses with the remaining 45.7% being on non-employee expenses ($13,153 million), depreciation ($2,269 million), and transfer expenses ($9,611 million).


GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, BY LEVEL OF GOVERNMENT
2002-03
2003-04
2004-05
2005-06
2006-07
2007-08
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Commonwealth Government
12 552
13 523
14 319
15 813
16 416
18 694
State and Local Governments
29 243
31 016
33 547
35 487
37 299
39 613
Multi-jurisdictional (a)
10 990
11 738
12 640
13 874
14 209
15 568
Less: Intra-sector transfers
11 975
12 960
13 794
15 328
16 069
18 403
All Levels of Government
40 810
43 317
46 712
49 846
51 854
55 473

(a) The multi-jurisdictional sector contains units where jurisdiction is shared between two or more governments, or the classification of a unit to a jurisdiction is otherwise unclear. For education the only type of units falling into this category are public universities.

GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, BY PURPOSE, ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT

2002-03
2003-04
2004-05
2005-06
2006-07
2007-08
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Primary and secondary education
22 530
23 895
25 790
27 501
28 983
30 544
Tertiary education
15 115
16 018
17 050
18 423
18 751
20 489
Pre-school & education not definable by level
1 609
1 816
2 038
2 151
2 317
2 439
Transportation of students
867
900
1 074
1 124
1 095
1 239
Education n.e.c.
690
688
759
648
708
762
Total
40 810
43 317
46 712
49 846
51 854
55 473


GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, BY ECONOMIC TRANSACTION, ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT

2002-03
2003-04
2004-05
2005-06
2006-07
2007-08
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Employee expenses
22 649
23 826
25 511
27 363
28 217
30 111
Non-employee expenses
9 558
10 248
10 951
11 442
12 218
13 153
Depreciation of fixed assets
1 818
1 859
1 966
2 019
2 101
2 269
Current transfer expenses
6 600
7 146
7 996
8 672
9 041
9 611
Capital transfer expenses
186
239
287
350
277
328
Total
40 810
43 317
46 712
49 846
51 854
55 473



For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070, email <client.services@abs.gov.au> or Mark Patton on Canberra (02) 6252 7926, email <public.finance@abs.gov.au>.


Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window

Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.