APRIL KEY FIGURES
Mar 08 to Apr 08
|Turnover at current prices |
|Trend estimates |
|Seasonally adjusted estimates |
APRIL KEY POINTS
Trend estimates -
SEASONALLY ADJUSTED ESTIMATES
- The trend estimate of turnover for the Australian Retail and Hospitality/Services series was unchanged in April 2008 compared with March 2008. This follows a revised change in the trend estimate in March 2008 of 0.0% and a revised increase of 0.1% in February 2008.
- In April 2008, industries that had an increase in trend estimate were Food retailing (+0.2%), Department stores (+0.2%), Clothing and soft good retailing (+0.1%) and Recreational good retailing (+0.2%).
- The seasonally adjusted estimate of turnover for the Australian Retail and Hospitality/Services series decreased by 0.2% in April 2008. This follows a revised increase of 0.2% in March 2008 and a decrease of -0.1% in February 2008.
- Industries that had a decrease in the seasonally adjusted estimate were Food retailing (-1.1%), Recreational good retailing (-1.2%) and Other retailing (-0.7%), while Department stores (+1.9%), Clothing and soft good retailing (+2.9%) and Household good retailing (+0.4%) had an increase in the seasonally adjusted estimate.
- In original terms, Australian turnover decreased by 1.6% in April 2008 compared with March 2008. Chains and other large retailers (which are completely enumerated) decreased by 2.3%, while the estimate for 'smaller' retailers (the sampled units) decreased by 0.7%.
- Australian turnover increased by 6.0% in April 2008 compared with April 2007. Chains and other large retailers increased by 8.3%, while 'smaller' retailers increased by 3.0% over the same period.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
|ISSUE ||Release Date|
|May 2008 ||2 July 2008|
|June 2008 ||31 July 2008|
|July 2008 ||2 September 2008|
|August 2008 ||30 September 2008|
|September 2008 ||3 November 2008|
|October 2008 ||2 December 2008|
There are no changes in this issue.
Standard errors for the Australian estimates (original data) for April 2008 contained in this publication are:
|Data Series |
|Level of retail turnover ($m) |
|Change from preceding month ($m) |
|% change from preceding month (%) |
For more information see the Explanatory Notes, paragraphs 32-36.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Graham Phillips on Canberra (02) 6252 5625.
This page last updated 1 July 2008