The Feature Article Preliminary rebasing of Australia's population estimates using the 2006 Census of Population and Housing has been reissued to correct errors in the subtotal and total calculations in the table Adjustment components of estimated resident population, preliminary - 30 June 2006.
2006 Census Edition — Preliminary
TAKE CARE! New data and improved methods have been introduced. See NOTES section below.
DECEMBER KEY FIGURES
Population at end Dec qtr 2006
Change over previous year
Change over previous year
|PRELIMINARY DATA |
|New South Wales |
|South Australia |
|Western Australia |
|Northern Territory |
|Australian Capital Territory |
|(a) Includes Other Territories comprising Jervis Bay Territory, Christmas Island and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands. |
Population growth, Quarterly
Population Growth Rate, Year ended current quarter
DECEMBER KEY POINTS
ESTIMATED RESIDENT POPULATION AND GROWTH
- The preliminary estimated resident population (ERP) of Australia at 31 December 2006, based on the 2006 Census of Population and Housing, was 20,852,000 persons. This was an increase of 293,100 persons since 31 December 2005, and 73,200 persons since 30 September 2006.
- The Australian population grew 1.4% during the 12 months ended 31 December 2006.
- All states and territories experienced positive population growth over the 12 months ended 31 December 2006. Western Australia recorded the largest percentage gain (2.1%) and Tasmania the smallest (0.6%).
FIVE YEARS OF POPULATION CHANGE
- The preliminary rebased ERP of Australia at 30 June 2006 was 20,701,500 persons, an increase of 1,288,200 persons over the last intercensal period (2001-06).
- The national average annual growth rate for the five year period from 30 June 2001-30 June 2006 was 1.3%, an increase on that for the 1996-2001 period (1.2%).
- Over the last five years (2001-06), all states and territories experienced population growth. Queensland experienced the largest percentage gain, increasing 12.7%. South Australia and New South Wales both experienced the smallest percentage gain, increasing 3.7% each.
|ISSUE (QUARTER) ||Release Date|
|March 2007 ||24 September 2007|
|June 2007 ||4 December 2007|
|September 2007 ||19 March 2008|
|December 2007 ||5 June 2008|
|March 2008 ||24 September 2008|
|June 2008 ||2 December 2008|
PRELIMINARY REBASED POPULATION ESTIMATES
Population data for the recent intercensal period (September quarter 2001 to June quarter 2006) has been updated using information from the 2006 Census of Population and Housing (2006 Census). The majority of estimated resident population (ERP) data for September quarter 2001 onwards in this publication are now based on the 2006 Census. Tables containing data that remains based on the 2001 Census are footnoted.
ERP DATA STATUS
This publication contains final, revised and preliminary data. For the current status refer to the table Status of ERP Data at paragraph 7 of the Explanatory Notes.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
- The majority of tables have quarterly time series extended from the beginning of the intercensal period starting in September quarter 2001.
- Births and deaths data for the December quarter 2006 have been adjusted to include updated registrations over the three previous 2006 quarters (March, June and September). Therefore, any data used for analysis from births, deaths, natural increase or total growth for the December quarter 2006 should be used with caution. For further detail see paragraphs 11-17 of the Explanatory Notes.
- Table 7 ERP, Age groups, Australia, at 30 June 2006 is new.
- Table 14 Categories of net overseas migration, Australia, 2001-06 has the time series finishing at June quarter 2006. An improved method for calculating NOM has now been introduced causing a break in this time series.
- Table 17 Interstate migration, State and territory of arrival and departure, Selected years and quarters has been extended.
IMPROVED METHOD FOR ESTIMATING NET OVERSEAS MIGRATION
The ABS has implemented an improved method for estimating NOM. Preliminary estimates for September quarter 2006 onwards in Table 2 of this issue are based on the improved method. For further information see paragraph 19 of the Explanatory Notes.
RELATED PUBLICATIONS UPCOMING RELEASES
Preliminary ERP for sub state/territory level based on results of the 2006 Census will be released on 24 July 2007 in Regional Population Growth, Australia 1996 to 2006 (cat. no. 3218.0) and Population by Age and Sex, Australia 2006 (cat. no. 3235.0.55.01).
Preliminary experimental estimated resident Indigenous population figures for 30 June 2006 based on the 2006 Census will be included in the next issue of this publication.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Georgia Mitchell on Canberra (02) 6252 5640.