OCTOBER KEY FIGURES
Sep 07 to Oct 07
|Turnover at current prices |
|Trend estimates |
|Seasonally adjusted estimates |
Trend estimates -
OCTOBER KEY POINTS
- The trend estimate of turnover for the Australian Retail and Hospitality/Services series increased by 0.7% in October 2007. This follows an increase of 0.7% in each of the previous four months.
- In October 2007, all states and territories had an increase in the trend estimate. The largest increases occurred in South Australia (+0.9%), New South Wales and Queensland (both +0.8%).
SEASONALLY ADJUSTED ESTIMATES
- The seasonally adjusted estimate of turnover for the Australian Retail and Hospitality/Services series increased by 0.2% in October 2007. This follows a revised increase of 0.7% in September 2007 and an increase of 0.8% in August 2007.
- All states and territories had increases in the seasonally adjusted estimate, except Western Australia (-0.8%), Queensland (-0.1%) and Tasmania, which was flat. The largest increases occurred in South Australia (+1.6%), the Northern Territory (+0.8%) and Victoria (+0.6%).
- In original terms, Australian turnover increased by 5.3% in October 2007 compared with September 2007. Chains and other large retailers (which are completely enumerated) increased by 4.3%, while the estimate for 'smaller' retailers (the sampled units) increased by 6.6%.
- Australian turnover increased by 7.7% in October 2007 compared with October 2006. Chains and other large retailers increased by 9.0%, while 'smaller' retailers increased by 6.1%.
|ISSUE ||Release Date|
|November 2007 ||9 January 2008|
|December 2007 ||5 February 2008|
|January 2008 ||4 March 2008|
|February 2008 ||4 April 2008|
|March 2008 ||2 May 2008|
|April 2008 ||2 June 2008|
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
There are no changes in this issue.
As detailed in the August 2007 issue, changes to the survey design and methodology were introduced for the July month. Monitoring of the impact of these changes is ongoing. At this point in time, there is not enough data available to determine if further revisions to the historical series will be required.
Standard errors for the Australian estimates (original data) for October 2007 contained in this publication are:
|Data Series |
|Level of retail turnover ($m) |
|Change from preceding month ($m) |
|% change from preceding month (%) |
For more information see the Explanatory Notes, paragraphs 32-36.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Graham Phillips on Canberra (02) 6252 5625.