The ABS provides information on Australia's international trade in goods and services in three publications:
Estimates may be revised between the monthly estimates in cat. no. 5368.0, the preliminary estimates in this publication and the quarterly estimates in cat. no. 5302.0. The September quarter issue of Balance of Payments and International Investment Position, Australia (cat. no. 5302.0) will be released on 4 December 2012.
PRELIMINARY CURRENT PRICE ESTIMATES OF BALANCE ON GOODS AND SERVICES
- International Trade in Goods and Services, Australia (cat. no. 5368.0) provides monthly current prices estimates for both credits (exports) and debits (imports).
- This publication provides the following selected broad level preliminary quarterly estimates for the current quarter:
- current price estimates of the balance on goods and services, and
- chain volume measures and price indexes for goods debits.
- Balance of Payments and International Investment Position, Australia (cat. no. 5302.0) provides quarterly estimates in current prices, chain volume measures and price indexes for goods and services credits and debits plus the full balance of payments and international investment position in current prices.
- In seasonally adjusted current price terms, the balance on goods and services was a deficit of $4,645m in the September quarter 2012, a rise of $2,531m (120%) on the June quarter 2012 deficit of $2,114m. The main components contributing to the rise were:
- goods credits, down $4,279m (7%)
- metal ores and minerals, down $3,223m (15%)
- coal, coke and briquettes, down $854m (8%)
- other mineral fuels, up $845m (13%).
- services credits, up $232m (2%), travel, up $187m (2%).
- goods debits, down $1,503m (2%)
- capital goods n.e.s., down $837m (20%).
- services debits, down $13m
- travel, down $227m (3%)
- transport, down $124m (3%)
- other services, up $309m (6%).
PRELIMINARY ESTIMATES OF CHAIN VOLUME MEASURES AND PRICE INDEXES FOR GOODS DEBITS (footnote 1)
- Goods and services debits data, in original and seasonally adjusted terms, have been revised since the release of the September 2012 issue of International Trade in Goods and Services, Australia (cat. no. 5368.0).
- In seasonally adjusted terms, goods imports volumes fell 0.2% and the implicit price deflator fell 2.2% during the September quarter 2012.
- In original terms, the chain Laspeyres price index fell 2.5% and the implicit price deflator fell 2.0%.
For further information contact Val Tot on Canberra (02) 6252 5540.
1 Reference year for chain volume measures and price index is 2010–11. See paragraphs 16 to 18 of the Explanatory Notes
This page last updated 25 February 2013