SEPTEMBER KEY FIGURES
August 2014 to September 2014
|Turnover at current prices |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
September Qtr 2014
June Qtr 2014 to September Qtr 2014
|Turnover in volume terms |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
SEPTEMBER KEY POINTS
Monthly Turnover, Current Prices - Trend Estimate Quarterly Turnover, in volume terms - Trend estimate
- The trend estimate rose 0.3% in September 2014. This follows a rise of 0.3% in August 2014 and a rise of 0.3% in July 2014.
- The seasonally adjusted estimate rose 1.2% in September 2014. This follows a rise of 0.1% in August 2014 and a rise of 0.4% in July 2014.
- In seasonally adjusted terms, Electrical and electronic goods retailing rose 9.2% in September 2014. This figure was influenced by the release of the iPhone 6 during the month.
- In trend terms, Australian turnover rose 5.0% in September 2014 compared with September 2013.
- The following industries rose in trend terms in September 2014: Food retailing (0.3%), Cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services (0.6%), Other retailing (0.5%), Household goods retailing (0.3%) and Clothing, footwear and personal accessory retailing (0.2%). Department stores (-0.3%) fell in trend terms in September 2014.
- The following states and territories rose in trend terms in September 2014: New South Wales (0.5%), Victoria (0.5%), Western Australia (0.4%), South Australia (0.3%), the Australian Capital Territory (0.8%) and Tasmania (0.1%). Queensland (-0.1%) and the Northern Territory (-0.2%) fell in trend terms in September 2014.
- In volume terms, the trend estimate for Australian turnover rose 0.5% in the September quarter 2014.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
|ISSUE ||Release Date|
|October 2014 ||4 December 2014|
|November 2014 ||9 January 2015|
|December 2014 ||5 February 2015|
|January 2015 ||5 March 2015|
|February 2015 ||7 April 2015|
|March 2015 ||6 May 2015|
This issue includes new quarterly measures of total retail turnover per capita. The full time series is available from the Downloads tab of this publication on the ABS website.
Updated online retail turnover estimates for the September 2014 reference month are provided and explained within the appendix section of this publication.
Each September issue, the reference and base year for chain volume estimates is updated. A new base year, 2012-13, has been introduced into the chain volume estimates which has resulted in minor revisions to growth rates in subsequent periods. The chain volume estimates have also been re-referenced to 2012-13. Additivity is preserved in the quarters of the reference year and subsequent quarters. Re-referencing affects the level of, but not the movements in, chain volume estimates.
There are no revisions to the original estimates. Revisions to seasonally adjusted estimates are due to the concurrent methodology for deriving seasonal factors.
TIME SERIES DATA
Data available from the Downloads tab of this issue on the ABS website include longer time series of tables in this publication:
- Monthly retail turnover by state and 15 industry subgroups in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Monthly retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sectors, by six industry groups and also by state in original terms
- Monthly retail turnover completely enumerated sector, total level in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly retail chain volume measures by six industry groups and also by state in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly retail turnover per capita in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly sales to households by selected service industries in original terms.
outlines how the ABS will handle any personal information that you provide to us.
This page last updated 4 November 2014