SUMMARY OF FINDINGS
PROFILE OF TELEWORKERS
In the 3 months to October 2001, an estimated 244,700 or 8% of employed persons teleworked. Teleworkers were defined as employed persons aged 15 years and over in NSW who worked at a fixed workplace, for a business that was not based at their own home and in the last 3 months worked at home during normal business hours for a full or part day.
The majority (176,200 or 72%) of teleworkers live in Sydney, with the remaining 68,500 (28%) residing in the balance of NSW. Of those who teleworked, 58% (142,300) were male and 42% (102,400) were female, which was not significantly different from the sex distribution of employed persons generally.
The most common age group for teleworkers was 35-44 years, which accounted for 92,300 (38%) of teleworkers. Younger and older workers were less likely to telework. Of those who teleworked, 5% (13,400) were aged 15-24 years and 8% (19,900) were aged 55 years and over.
Over the same period, a further 355,200 or 12% of employed persons only worked at home after normal business hours. Employed persons aged 45-54 years accounted for the largest proportion of those who only worked at home after normal business hours (103,700 or 29%), whilst those aged 15-24 years (25,500 or 7%) represented the smallest proportion.
SECTOR OF EMPLOYMENT
The private sector accounted for an estimated 79% (1,934,300) of employees, with the government or public service accounting for 467,200 (19%) employees. Though a large majority (74%) of teleworking employees worked in the private sector, a greater proportion of public sector employees teleworked compared to those employed in the private sector. Of those who worked for the government or public service 10% (44,800) teleworked, whilst only 7% (142,300) of private sector employees teleworked.
Public sector employees were also more likely to work at home only after business hours. Of employees in the government or public service 22% (102,000) worked at home only after business hours, compared to 10% (192,900) of private sector employees.
Teleworking employees used a variety of technological facilities. The most commonly used facilities by teleworking employees included telephone (72%), mobile phone (68%), Internet (67%) and email (65%).
Close to two thirds (62% or 119,900) of teleworking employees used a facility supplied by their employer. The facilities most commonly supplied to teleworking employees were a laptop computer (44%) and mobile phone (37%). Email, Internet and logging on to work computer from home were also common (21%, 19% and 17% respectively).
The main reasons for teleworking were work commitments/job requires it (33%), less distractions (15%), childcare/family considerations (13%) and greater productivity (12%). More female than male teleworkers gave childcare/family considerations as the main reason for teleworking (21% compared to 7%).
An estimated 87% (213,000) of all teleworkers used a car for at least part of the trip to work when they were not teleworking. Other types of transport used by teleworkers included train (12%), walking (9%) and bus (8%).
TELEWORK MORE OFTEN
Almost half of all teleworkers 47% (115,300) would like to telework more often, whilst 38% (134,400) of those who work at home only after normal business hours would also like to telework. The most common reasons given by all employed persons for not teleworking more often were type of work not suitable (63%), employers not allowing it (14%) and lack of equipment (12%).
Of those employed who do not do any work at home for their job or business, 27% (566,700) reported that they would like to telework. Reasons given for not teleworking were type of work not suitable (75%) and employers not allowing it (13%).
APPENDIX ADDITIONAL DATA
ADDITIONAL DATA AVAILABLE
In addition to the statistics provided in this publication, ABS can produce upon request customised tables cross-classifying any of the following information. Information collected in the survey included:
Type of household, e.g. person living alone, married couple only, etc.
Population, Sydney/balance of state
Age/sex of survey respondent
Whether has formal agreement with employer to telework
Reasons for teleworking
If teleworking, whether would like to telework more often
Reasons for not teleworking more often
If not teleworking, whether would like to telework
Reasons for not teleworking
Use of technology
Whether used technology facilities at home while teleworking
Which technology facilities are used
Whether technology for employees is provided by employer
Frequency of teleworking
Number of whole days
Number of part days
Travel mode to work
Distance to work
Whether shared car journey with others
Whether car is used on teleworking days
Portion of trip to work by car for teleworkers
To discuss your data requirements or for further information regarding this survey please contact Yelena Fridgant on Sydney 02 9268 4672.
This page last updated 8 December 2006