DWELLING UNIT COMMENCEMENTS ORIGINAL
Mar qtr 12
Dec qtr 11 to Mar qtr 12
Mar qtr 11 to Mar qtr 12
|New private sector houses |
|New private sector other residential building |
|Private sector conversion, etc. |
|Public sector dwellings |
|Total dwelling units |
- The total number of dwelling units commenced fell 24.6% in the March quarter 2012, to 27,826.
- No state or territory experienced an increase in dwelling unit commencements this quarter. The largest decreases were seen in the Australian Capital Territory (-50.9%), New South Wales (-46.7%), the Northern Territory (-27.8%) and Tasmania (-24.0%).
- New private sector house commencements fell 21.5% to 18,327.
- New private sector house commencements fell in all states and territories. The Northern Territory (-39.3%), New South Wales (-32.0%) and Victoria (-30.7%) experienced the largest falls.
- New private sector other residential building fell 31.0%, to 8,803. This follows a fall of 3.3% in the December quarter.
- The total number of public sector dwellings commenced fell by 25.9% to 460.
- South Australia experienced the largest number of public sector dwelling commencements (170), followed by Western Australia (142), while the Northern Territory had no public sector dwelling commencements this quarter.