DWELLING UNIT COMMENCEMENTS ORIGINAL
Mar qtr 11
Dec qtr 10 to Mar qtr 11
Mar qtr 10 to Mar qtr 11
|New private sector houses |
|New private sector other residential building |
|Private sector conversion, etc. |
|Public sector dwellings |
|Total dwelling units |
- The total number of dwelling units commenced fell 8.8% in the March quarter 2011, to 36,351.
- Total dwelling unit commencements in all states and territories fell this quarter except for the Northern Territory.
- New private sector house commencements fell 15.4%, to 20,928.
- New private sector house commencements in all states and territories fell this quarter.
- New private sector other residential building rose 5.0%, to 13,844. This follows a revised rise of 7.1% in the December quarter.
- The total number of public sector dwellings commenced fell by 15.2% to 1,384, the lowest since June 2009.
- Public sector dwelling unit commencements fell in New South Wales, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania this quarter.