Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
3101.0 - Australian Demographic Statistics, Mar 2012 Quality Declaration 
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 27/09/2012   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product
MEDIA RELEASE
27 September 2012
Embargoed: 11.30 am (Canberra time)
149/2012

Net Overseas Migration at highest point in two years

Australia's Net Overseas Migration has reached its highest point in two years, according to figures released today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).

The net overseas migration estimate for the year ending 31 March 2012 was 197,200 people - 18 per cent higher than that for March 2011 (166,800 people), when net overseas migration reached a four year low.

Australia's population increased by 331,200 people to reach 22.6 million people with a growth rate of 1.5 per cent. Net overseas migration accounted for 57 per cent of growth, with the remaining 43 per cent due to natural increase (births minus deaths).

There were 295,400 births registered in the year ending March 2012, 1.2 per cent more than the previous year. The number of deaths registered over the same period was 145,800, 0.5 per cent less than the previous year.

Western Australia continues to have the fastest growing population in the country, increasing by 3.1 per cent (73,300 people).


Population at end Mar qtr 2012
Change over previous year
Change over previous year
PRELIMINARY DATA
'000
'000
%

New South Wales
7 272.8
73.5
1.0
Victoria
5 603.1
82.5
1.5
Queensland
4 537.7
76.4
1.7
South Australia
1 650.6
14.1
0.9
Western Australia
2 410.6
73.3
3.1
Tasmania
512.1
1.3
0.3
Northern Territory
233.3
3.0
1.3
Australian Capital Territory
373.1
7.0
1.9
Australia(a)
22 596.5
331.2
1.5


(a) Includes Other Territories.

Further information is available in Australian Demographic Statistics, March Quarter 2012 (cat. no. 3101.0).

For population estimates at the regional level, please see Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2011 (cat. no. 3218.0) and Population by Age and Sex, Regions of Australia, 2011 (cat. no. 3235.0). Available for free download from www.abs.gov.au

Media Note:

When reporting ABS data you must attribute the Australian Bureau of Statistics (or the ABS) as the source.


Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window

Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.