DWELLING UNIT COMMENCEMENTS ORIGINAL
Jun qtr 12
Mar qtr 12 to Jun qtr 12
Jun qtr 11 to Jun qtr 12
|New private sector houses |
|New private sector other residential building |
|Private sector conversion, etc. |
|Public sector dwellings |
|Total dwelling units |
- The total number of dwelling units commenced rose 15.6% in the June quarter 2012, to 34,326.
- New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, the Northern Territory, and the Australian Capital Territory all experienced increases in the number of dwelling unit commencements this quarter. The largest increases occurred in the Northern Territory (148.4%), New South Wales (36.1%), and Queensland (26.3%). The largest decrease was seen in Western Australia (-7.6%).
- New private sector house commencements rose 8.1% to 20,391.
- New private sector house commencements rose in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, the Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory. The Northern Territory (98.9%), and Queensland (25.7%) experienced the largest increases. Tasmania experienced the largest fall (-21.2%).
- New private sector other residential building rose 31.9%, to 13,382. This follows a fall of 20.2% in the March quarter.
- The total number of public sector dwellings commenced fell by 19.1% to 372.
- The largest rise in public sector dwelling unit commencements occurred in New South Wales (57 dwellings). The largest falls occurred in Western Australia (-61 dwellings), and South Australia (-50 dwellings).
This page last updated 11 September 2012