CHAPTER 5 STATE SUBURBS
A State Suburb (SSC) is formed by allocating CDs using the methods described in Chapter 1, to localities gazetted by the Geographic Place Name authority in each State/Territory. For the 2006 Census, SSCs are available for the following areas:
New South Wales
- Sydney and surrounds (11003-12095)
- Central Coast and surrounds (13006-13466)
- Newcastle and surrounds (14006-14511)
- Wollongong and surrounds (15006-15291)
- Other New South Wales (16003-19577)
- Unclassified New South Wales (19999)
- The whole of New South Wales is covered by SSCs.
- Melbourne and surrounds (21003-21747)
- Geelong and surrounds (22006-22146)
- Ballarat and surrounds (23006-23116)
- Bendigo and surrounds (24006-24131)
- Other Victoria (25003-27113)
- Unclassified Victoria (29999)
- The whole of Victoria is covered by SSCs.
- Brisbane and surrounds (31003-31603)
- Gold Coast and surrounds (32006-32246)
- Sunshine Coast and surrounds (33006-33231)
- Townsville and surrounds (34006-34176)
- Other Queensland (35003-38067)
- Unclassified Queensland (39999)
- The whole of Queensland is covered by SSCs.
- Adelaide and surrounds (41006-42916)
- Other South Australia (43006-45466)
- Unclassified South Australia (49999)
- A significant area of the north and west of the state is not defined by gazetted locality boundaries and are therefore included as Unclassified SA (49999).
- Perth and surrounds (51006-52591)
- Other Western Australia (53006-56171)
- Unclassified Western Australia (59999)
- The whole of Western Australia is covered by SSCs.
- Hobart and surrounds (61006-61361)
- Launceston and surrounds (62006-62131)
- Devonport and surrounds (63006-63036)
- Burnie and surrounds (64006-64086)
- Other Tasmania (65006-66406)
- Unclassified Tasmania (69999)
- The whole of Tasmania is covered by SSCs.
Australian Capital Territory
- Darwin and surrounds (71006-71166)
- Palmerston and surrounds (72006-72056)
- Other Northern Territory (73006-73121)
- Unclassified Northern Territory (79999)
- The majority of the land area outside of Darwin and Palmerston is not defined by gazetted locality boundaries and are therefore included as Unclassified NT (79999).
- Canberra and surrounds (81006-81511)
- Unclassified Australian Capital Territory (89999)
- The area outside Canberra and surrounds is not defined by gazetted locality boundaries and are therefore included as Unclassified ACT (89999).
For the 2006 Census, 8464 SSCs are defined including one 'unclassified' suburb that occurs in every State/Territory. Between 2001 and 2006 there were significant changes to both the number and the boundary definition of gazetted localities within each State/Territory. To aid in comparing between 2001 and 2006 SSCs, a minor number of SSCs have been split. SSCs do not cross State/Territory borders.
- Unclassified Other Territories (99999)
- Gazetted localities boundaries for Other Territories are not defined.
SSC names and codes
SSC names are based on the most recent gazetted locality boundaries current at the time of a census. The coding conventions for SSCs are as follows:
- SSCs are sorted by name and then allocated a unique four-digit code;
- codes are allocated within regions within each State/Territory (eg. Sydney, Wollongong);
- unique Australia-wide identification of SSCs requires a five-digit code comprising S/T code (digit 1) and SSC code (digits 2-5); and
- the SSC code 9999 is reserved for those CDs in each State/Territory that are not classified as part of any SSC.
5 1006 Alexander Heights
5 1011 Alfred Cove
5 1016 Alkimos
5 1021 Anketell
5 9999 Unclassified WA
SSCs have been renumbered since the last census so the codes used for the 2001 Census will not necessarily match those used for the 2006 Census. It should also be noted that the coverage of SSCs has increased significantly since the 2001 Census.
Please see Appendix 5 for a full listing of SSC codes and labels.
Suburbs will change over time but the SSC classification will not be updated until the 2011 Census.