7.1. The ABS proposes to undertake a comprehensive review of its strategy for the publication of prices statistics, with the aim of ensuring key information is communicated effectively to users. The strategy will need to provide for the release of the results from new initiatives as they become available.
7.2. As described in section 2, there is a wide range of Australian price indexes currently available as well as the national accounts-based price measures. These statistics are published in a number of separate, specialised publications with varying profiles.
7.3. Given this approach, there is the potential for improving users’ knowledge and understanding of the array of measures through presenting the key price aggregates in a cohesive manner, drawing on the illustration of their interrelationships provided in section 2.
7.4. It is anticipated this would assist users in the selection of the most appropriate measure(s) for any particular application, whether it be analysis of inflation, indexation, business contract adjustment, international comparisons or any other purpose.
7.5. Further, as new developments in the field of prices statistics progress, it will be important to provide for the effective and systematic communication of results. For example:
- new experimental, analytical measures (e.g. the proposed underlying household inflation measure);
- indexes from new collections (e.g. producer price indexes for service industries); and
7.6. The review of the publishing strategy will include:
- statistics presented under new classification frameworks (e.g. SOP).
- reviewing the scope and content of all the existing publications containing prices measures with a view to revamping them into a coherent suite of separate but relatable products presented within a clearly articulated framework; and
- as a companion to the separate publications, considering either:
- developing a compendium, thematic prices publication which draws together and analyses the full range of price measures and presents the key aggregates within an integrated framework; or
7.7. The review process will provide for consultation with users.
- revamping and extending the existing prices chapter of the Australian Economic Indicators publication (1350.0).
This page last updated 20 January 2006